The Four Categories of Literature
Masters and Philosophers
Anthologies and Collected Works
Huayang guo zhi 華陽國志 "Records of the Lands South of Mt. Hua" is a history of Sichuan (Ba 巴 and Shu 蜀), the region of the upper course of the River Han (Hanzhong 漢中) and south into the modern province of Guizhou (Nanzhong 南中) from ancient times to the 4th century. It is 12 juan "scrolls" long and was written by the Eastern Jin period 東晉 (317-420) scholar Chang Qu 常璩, a native from the region of Shu. The first four chapters are a general description of the region as well as a history of remote times where historical records are lacking. The other chapters are chronological reports of the region. Chapters 5 to 10 deal with the history of the region from the Later Han period 後漢 (25-220), through the Shu-Han period 蜀漢 (221-263), the Western Jin 西晉 (265-316) and the short-lived Cheng-Han dynasty 成漢 (304-347). Chapters 10 and 11 are biographies of worthies and outstanding women. The book must have been finished before 355.
The Huayang guozhi is of great importance for the early history of the modern province of Sichuan. It contains not only information about event history but also of geography, customs and habits, administration, economy, and local tales. The biographies in chapters 10 and 11 contain a lot of information not included in the official histories.
There is a commentary written by Liu Lin 劉琳, the Huayang guo zhi jiaozhu 華陽國志校注.
1. 巴志 Ba zhi Ba [around modern Chongqing]
2. 漢中志 Hanzhong zhi Hanzhong [modern Hubei]
3. 蜀志 Shu zhi Shu [around modern Chengdu]
4. 南中志 Nanzhong zhi Nanzhong [N-Guizhou]
5. 公孫述劉二牧志 Gongsun Shu Liu Ermu zhi Gongsun Shu and the two governors Liu [potentates of this region during Later Han]
6. 劉先主志 Liu Xianzhu zhi Liu [Bei] the First Ruler [of Shu-Han]
7. 劉後主志 Liu Houzhu zhi Liu [Shan] the Last Ruler [of Shu-Han]
8. 大同志 Datong zhi The "Great Unity" [during Western Jin]
9. 李特雄期壽勢志 Liu Te, Xiong, Qi, Shou, Shi zhi [The rulers of Cheng-Han]
10a. 先賢士女總讚論 Xian xianshinü zongzanlun Concise praise of wise and virtuous ladies and gentlemen (I)
10b. 廣漢士女 Guanghan shinü The ladies and gentlemen of Guanghan
10c. 漢中士女 Hanzhong shinü The ladies and gentlemen of Hanzhong
11. 後賢志 Houxian zhi Wise [ladies and gentlemen] II
12. 序志 Xuzhi Postface
Source: Zhou Yiliang 周一良 (1992), "Huayang guo zhi 華陽國志", in Zhongguo da baike quanshu 中國大百科全書, Zhongguo lishi 中國歷史 (Beijing/Shanghai: Zhongguo da baike quanshu chubanshe), Vol. 1, p. 396.
July 17, 2010 © Ulrich Theobald · Mail
Chinese Literature over time